Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 31

Lane watched the horizon, doubt creasing his forehead. He glanced over at Beth, who was leaning back against his extended arm. She was looking up at the stars.

"Do you know how to find the summer triangle?" she asked offhandedly. She gestured up at the sky. "See the triangle created by those three stars? That one is called 'Altair'. It's part of the constellation Aquila." She smiled vaguely. "Then we have Vega and Deneb. They are-"

Her voice was drowned out by an explosion as a mushroom cloud of flame shot into the sky--off in the direction Lane had been looking. He and Steven (leaning against the back of the truck) stared open-mouthed as little flecks of flame continued to spew off in various directions. Steven looked back at Beth once it had quieted down a little. The horizon was now glowing with flame.

"Are you sure that was necessary? I mean, this is Moab."

"My original plan fell through. I'm just glad Anilee gave me the idea for using bacon grease to bomb the site." Beth was still staring up at the sky. "I really appreciate you both helping."

"What are pyros for?" Steven chuckled, climbing into the front of the truck. "Though I'm still surprised you used this trip as an excuse to come down here. You didn't even know us prior to this week."

"I had a good feeling about it," Beth said with a grin. "Lets get back to camp to get some food. Make sure to ask about the explosion. I don't want the others to suspect anything."

1 comment:

Robin said...

I'm not going to lie. I'm a bit confused about the numbering of the days on this post.